Dr. Ryan Grabow, a Hand to Shoulder Specialist in Las Vegas warns that sparklers and novelty fireworks are not as safe as we believe. According to Dr. Grabow, most parents recognize the inherent dangers of firecrackers and bottle rockets, but many fail to recognize the risks that sparklers and other novelty fireworks pose to young children.
Statistics show that sparklers and novelties account for 40% of injuries to children under 5 years old, and more than a third of all injuries to children under 15. (Source: US Consumer Product Safety Commission). Surprisingly, this is amidst a decline in injuries from firecrackers and bottle rockets.
Dr. Grabow believes the solution is better education. ” The parents of injured children always say they didn’t realize sparklers were so dangerous, yet these same parents would never think of letting their young child hold a lit candle or get near the stove or grill, because they know the risks. As a community, we need to do a better job educating parents on the risk of sparklers, just as we do for firecrackers, stoves and grills. We promote safe and sane fireworks in Nevada, but the public needs to realize they still pose a risk without proper use and common sense” states Grabow.
Sparkler Safety Tips:
- Sparklers should only be used under direct adult supervision
- Never hold a child in your arms if you or the child are using sparklers
- Never hold or light more than one sparkler at a time
- Never hand a lighted sparkler to someone. Give them an unlit sparkler and light it for them
- Teach children to hold sparklers away from their body with one hand at full arm’s length
- Never throw, twirl or wave sparklers
- Always wear closed toe shoes when using sparklers. Burns to feet are common when burnt sparklers are left on the ground
- Sparklers should be dropped directly in a bucket of water after the flame goes out.
Dr. Grabow believes that education is the best deterrent to fireworks related injuries, and has made himself available to offer guidance in this regard. Dr. Ryan Grabow is a board certified hand to shoulder specialist, with an office located at 3175 St Rose Pkwy #330, Henderson, NV 89052 more information, call
Grabow Hand To Shoulder Center at (702) 433-9533 or visit www.NoSedationHandSurgery.com