Eleven local chefs join together to prepare a special Thanksgiving meal for Caridad Gardens residents, which is jobs program using gardening to reintegrate formerly homeless Veterans into the workforce.
Each year, food enthusiast, comedian and writer, Jason Harris, organizes this special day with several returning participating Chefs to ensure the community who may have food insecurity is supported. In the past he has also coordinated meals for the LGBT Center of southern Nevada. The meals will be delivered and served at Noon on Thanksgiving Day at the non-profit organization.
“There are so many charities that are doing good things in the community. With Caridad, they are helping people who have fallen on tough times and through the cracks get back out there. They not only offer people a place to live when they otherwise wouldn’t have one, but an opportunity to learn new skills that can help them in the workforce for the rest of their lives. On top of all that, the fact that many of these opportunities are in the culinary field makes this a great selection and hopefully some of the chefs who are contributing will find new people to employ!” – Jason Harris, Food Writer
Food from well-known local chefs included the traditional thanksgiving meal of turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce. Meal Donations by Chefs and Restaurants include:
- Turkey – Echo & Rig – Sam Marvin
- 14-16 lb Turkey, oven-ready, slathered with herb butter and stuffed with mirepoix & apples
- Cranberry Sauce – Triple B (Brooks Brothers Burgers) – Scott Pajak
- Homemade Cranberry Sauce with raspberries, French bread with whipped butter.
- Roasted butternut squash – Main St. Provisions – Jessica Perlstein
- Charred parsnip and carrots, pearl onions, And sage, smoked chestnut pesto( chestnuts, pumpkin seeds, lemon, sage, roasted garlic) pomegranate seeds.
- Autumn harvest salad – The Summit Club – Geno Bernardo
- Roasted Anjou pears, arugula, radicchio, Brussels sprouts, cranberry vinaigrette
- Rigatoni Genovese – La Strega – Gina Marinelli
- Basil Pesto, Pinenuts, Lemon
- Mac and Cheese, Green Bean Casserole – Esther’s Kitchen – James Trees
- Truffled Mac and cheese with garlic breadcrumbs.
- Green bean casserole with mushroom fonduta and crispy onions
- Baked Beans – Big B’s BBQ – Natalia Badzjo & Brian Buechner
- Smoke Brisket Baked Beans
- Stuffing – Johnny C’s – Sam Brooks
- Sweet and sour turkey sausage stuffing with Jalapeño Cranberry compote
- Mashed Potatoes – Valencia Gold – Jeffrey Weiss
- Buttermilk, chive
- Sweet Potatoes – Kitchen Table – Javier Sanchez
- Smores sweet potato mash
- Cobbler – Sticks Tavern – Trevor Garrett
- Spiced apple cobbler with oat crumble