Additional scholarship programs have further reduced the cost-per-credit at SNU
[INCLINE VILLAGE, NV] New scholarships for new students are available from Sierra Nevada University. In conjunction with the State of Nevada’s efforts to grow its teacher pipeline in the state, SNU now offers scholarships for new graduate students interested in becoming teachers, as well as current teachers looking to complete their master’s degree. SNU’s new awards intend to expand the pool of available teachers by reducing the cost commitment barrier for those who wish to take up this needed profession.
The Details – Many Paths to the Classroom
Sierra Nevada University began its work on creating pathways to the classroom by reducing the per-credit cost of a Bachelor of Arts in education to $225 this past fall. SNU’s new pricing structure for those pursuing endorsements in English Language Acquisition and Development (ELAD); Gifted and Talented Education (GATE); Social, Emotional, and Academic Development (SEAD); or Autism Education has also been reduced to $175 per credit.
Scholarships – SNU’s Donor Network Rolls Back the Clock
Teacher education scholarships for new students, supported by a generous donation to the program, have reduced the per-credit cost for incoming students to $395. These institutional scholarships vary by program, but for new incoming students, they create a pricing structure comparable to tuition costs of ten years ago. For example, a Master’s in Education (M.Ed.) program, for 36 credits, has been reduced by over $4400.
The Value of Being in the Classroom
Sierra Nevada University’s Teacher Education program, for over the past three decades, has prided itself on many things relevant to those who wish to enter the profession.
All of the instructors are licensed educators in the fields they teach.
The program is scheduled to accommodate working adults
The face-to-face classroom experience is a significant component of all programs where students are involved.
SNU’s programs have produced many teachers over the last 30 years, but Nevada needs more. The graduates from Sierra Nevada University come from many backgrounds and bring their unique experiences and goals to the classroom, from Undergraduate to Graduate. Going forward, SNU has doubled-down on its commitment to its home state of Nevada to provide well-trained candidates for the classroom, support the skills of active teachers, and provide the administrative skills necessary for the schools of the future. Always affordable, these new scholarships will give new incentives to join the teaching profession and improve the state of education in Nevada.
Find out More About Teaching in Nevada
Beyond the scholarships available directly from Sierra Nevada University, there are also many resources for those who wish to teach in Nevada.
The Federal Teach Grant
Programs that qualify for the Federal TEACH grant are available at Sierra Nevada University. As with all federal programs, you’ll need to fill out a FAFSA. Help is available from the teacher education program, of course, and the TEACH grant can provide up to almost $4000 per year to students completing qualifying programs.
Teach Nevada Scholarships
Each year, Sierra Nevada University receives a limited number of Teach Nevada Scholarships available for students in the Master of Arts in Teaching or Bachelor of Arts in Education programs. These programs reimburse recipients for the full cost of their tuition, up to a maximum of $24,000. While attending, eligible students receive 75% of the award. Upon graduation, the remaining 25% waits in trust with the Department of Education until the student has completed these requirements:
Completed the preparation program
Maintained employment at a Nevada Public School for 5 consecutive years
Those years must include three years at a school on the Eligible Schools List
Completion of any requirements established by the State Board of Education.
Teacher.org – Many Scholarships are Available for Teachers
Teacher.org features an extensive list of programs and organizations for those interested in getting into the classroom and making a difference. Scholarships and grants based on specific teaching interests, essays, and educational plans are available for those who are serious about joining the profession.
Get in Touch
The best way to get started is to contact a program and find out more. Reach Sierra Nevada University via their website, or call them at 775-832-2437.
Sierra Nevada University is Nevada’s only accredited private non-profit four-year university. Sierra Nevada University is committed to fostering a culture of competition, guiding students to think on their feet, communicate persuasively, and acquire the higher-order thinking skills necessary to thrive in the real world.