LAS VEGAS – The Las Vegas community came together in a big way on Saturday, Jan. 31 for the 14th Annual Food Drive for Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) of Greater Las Vegas. Residents donated more than 18,000 pounds of food and supplies at local Smith’s Food and Drug Stores. Raffle tickets for a Golden Nugget staycation were sold. Raffle ticket sales, donations and gift cards totaled over $13,000.
More than 200 volunteers helped with the Food Drive, from preparations to collecting donations, to sorting, organizing and putting donations on shelves and in cabinets. Highlights from the day include:
- Ronald McDonald visiting Smith’s at Tropicana and Hualapai, where he accepted a $1,000 check from Smith’s Food and Drug Stores on behalf of RMHC. He also lent a hand at the RMHC House sorting food and unloading trucks.
- At one store, volunteers organized by McDonald’s Owner/Operator Eva Martin and her crew collected $1,900 in donations and raffle sales.
- The Las Vegas 4H Roadrunners and Tumbleweeds Club had at least 50 volunteers at the RMHC House unpacking and sorting the delivered food donations.
- The Nevada Farm Bureau presented a check for $500. The National Farm Bureau has supported RMHC for more than a decade.
- The food, supplies and cash donations through this Annual Food Drive help provide for the families who stay at the Ronald McDonald House all year.
The Ronald McDonald House of Greater Las Vegas provides a “home away from home” for families who must travel to Las Vegas to receive critical medical treatment for their children. These families face great hardship while their children undergo hospitalization or out-patient care for serious illness or trauma, and the Ronald McDonald House offers a place of comfort and support while they’re away from home. Support from the food drive helps families by ensuring they have food readily available without additional expense, as well as laundry detergent and other items. With their basic needs met, families are able to focus on what matters most – the recovery of their children.
Find event photos on Facebook at www.facebook.com/RMHCLasVegas
About RMHC of Greater Las Vegas
Believing that every child deserves a comfortable and supportive place to grow, Ronald McDonald House Charities® (RMHC®) of Greater Las Vegas creates and supports programs that directly improve the health, education and well-being of children in our community. We fulfill our mission by providing a home-away-from-home at the Ronald McDonald House® for families who travel to Las Vegas to receive critical medical treatment for their children, and manage programs that service the immediate needs of children and families in our community. Learn more at www.rmhlv.org.