Saint Mary’s began its legacy of caring for the community in 1877, when a few Dominican Sisters made an unplanned stop in Reno, on their journey from California to Kentucky. The Sisters stayed in Reno and built Mount Saint Mary’s Academy to bring education to the children of farmers and miners in the area. The academy would eventually become Sisters’ Hospital, as the rapidly growing community was in dire need of quality, caring healthcare.
In 1908 Sisters’ Hospital opened its doors, with just two nurses on staff. Even in those early days of the hospital, the workload was overwhelming and skilled help was hard to find. In response, the Sisters established a nurses’ training school that opened in 1910. This schooling would later transition to the University of Nevada in 1959, now called the Orvis School of Nursing.
As the area continued to grow, so did healthcare demands. In 1912 an adjoining facility opened and Sisters’ Hospital became Saint Mary’s Hospital. From 1912 to present day, new additions and towers have been built, creating Saint Mary’s Regional Medical Center. The Center is a comprehensive medical and surgical facility able to address the community’s ever-changing healthcare needs.
Transition to Prime
In July 2012, Saint Mary’s Regional Medical Center was acquired by Prime Healthcare Services. Saint Mary’s required new capital to strengthen and grow its services and this decision was made to preserve access to care and jobs. Prime Healthcare Services is a rapidly expanding hospital management company that owns and/or operates 26 acute care hospitals in the United States. Eleven Prime Healthcare hospitals are ranked as “Top Performers on Key Quality Measures” by the Joint Commission, the leading accrediting body of healthcare organizations.
This acquisition helped turn the state of the hospital around and significantly strengthened the facility’s ability to sustain its mission. Today, Saint Mary’s is expanding more than ever, implementing new technology and bringing on specialized physicians needed to serve the Reno community. Now, Saint Mary’s is able to offer a robust line of services including a top-rated Center for Cancer featuring the region’s only CyberKnife radiosurgery delivery system, a cardiology program dedicated to long-term heart health and a comprehensive Center for Neurovascular Care which includes Telemedicine. The health system also operates a fully-integrated medical group with over 50 providers.
A Network of Care and Services
The Sisters could have never predicted in 1908 that Saint Mary’s would grow to be more than just a hospital. In fact, the network today consists of more than 10 healthcare facilities throughout Truckee Meadows. The entire network works to deliver the highest quality care to a region encompassing Northern Nevadan and Northeastern California.
Saint Mary’s growth has matched the growth of healthcare providers throughout the country and reflects the development of Nevada itself. The commitment of the first Dominican Sisters, who refused to abandon their call to serve the Reno community, is just as strong today. The spirit, devotion and loving-kindness which have graced Saint Mary’s past are at the heart of the hospital and the culture that exists there now.
Saint Mary’s looks to the future with a vision of what it means to be a leader in the ever changing realm of healthcare. The healthcare organization has touched millions of lives throughout its years of service. As it continues to live the mission begun by the Dominican Sisters so many years ago, Saint Mary’s is proud to be a part of the Reno community.