Vegas PBS Announces PBS and Member Stations Mark 10 Years as America’s Most Trusted Institution and an ‘Excellent’ Use of Tax Dollars
National Research Again Confirms PBS KIDS as the Most Educational TV/Media Brand, the Safest On-Air and Online Destination for Children and the Top Provider of Content That Helps Children Learn Reading, Math and Essential Skills
(Las Vegas) – Today Vegas PBS General Manager Tom Axtell announced that an annual national survey conducted over the last 10 years has consistently confirmed that PBS and its member stations are ranked first in trust among nationally known institutions and are considered an “excellent” use of tax dollars by the American public. The annual study has also called PBS the most fair network for news and public affairs 10 consecutive times. In the most current round of research, PBS KIDS was named the most educational TV/media brand, the safest destination for children to watch television or visit online, and the top provider of content that helps children learn reading, math and essential skills. In each question, PBS KIDS significantly outscored cable and commercial broadcast television.
The research was conducted in January 2013 by the independent, non-partisan research firm ORC International. Each year, PBS commissions research to measure its performance and value as judged by its most important stakeholder – the American public.
“For Vegas PBS, the true measure of our success is the level of support and trust we have gained from the local audience that we serve,” said Axtell. “We pay particular care and attention in providing educational and engaging programming for children that aids in their growth and development, and by providing thoughtful news programming and compelling entertainment series for adults to enjoy.”
PBS Ranks #1 in Public Trust – Nearly Twice the Level of Trust Than Courts of Law
More than 4 in 5 people trust PBS (85% “trust a great deal” or “trust somewhat”). The 2013 study marks the 10th time in a row that PBS was called the nation’s most-trusted institution among a consideration set that includes courts of law, newspapers, and others. The study found that respondents had nearly twice the level of trust in PBS (46% “trust a great deal”) over the nearest institution, courts of law (27% “trust a great deal”).
PBS Considered Top Use of Tax Dollars
- Only military defense outranked PBS as the best value for the American tax dollar. Three-quarters (75%) of those polled called PBS an “excellent” (22%) or “good” (52%) use of their tax dollars. Military defense was described as “excellent” or “good” by 77% (27% “excellent” or 50% “good”).
- Nearly 3 in 4 participants (76%) believe federal funding for PBS is money well spent.
PBS Named the Most Fair Network
More than 4 in 10 respondents (43%) called PBS’ news coverage, investigations and discussions of issues “mostly fair” (when asked to choose among “liberal,” “mostly fair” and “conservative”). PBS outscored all other sources in the “mostly fair” category, including ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, FOX News and MSNBC.
PBS KIDS Called #1 Educational TV/Media Brand, Top Builder of Critical Skills, and Safest On-Air and Online Destination
- More than 4 in 10 respondents (44%) named PBS KIDS the most educational TV/media brand, significantly outscoring the second most highly rated brand, Disney, which was considered most educational by 12%.
- Eighty-six percent (86%) agreed “strongly or somewhat” that PBS “helps children improve their reading and math skills.” Cable and commercial broadcast television received this rating from 51% and 43% of respondents, respectively.
- Eighty-one percent (81%) agreed “strongly or somewhat” that “PBS helps prepare children for success in school and life.” This statement was equated with cable television and commercial broadcast television by 48% and 44% of participants, respectively.
- Eighty-eight percent (88%) agreed “strongly or somewhat” that PBS “is a trusted and safe place for children to watch television.” Fifty-one percent (51%) and 49% of respondents agreed with this statement regarding cable and commercial broadcast television, respectively.
- More than 3 in 4 respondents (78%) agreed “strongly or somewhat” that PBS “is a trusted and safe place for children to visit online,” while this statement was attributed to cable television and commercial broadcasters by only 41% and 37% of the sample, respectively.
- Eighty-one percent (81%) agreed “strongly or somewhat” that PBS is “the innovator” in children’s educational media. Forty-seven percent (47%) percent and 40% of participants also applied this statement to cable and commercial broadcast television, respectively.
Public broadcasting is America’s largest classroom, its biggest stage for the arts and a trusted window to the world, providing a place for all Americans to access new ideas and information to help every citizen build a brighter future.
Full results are available at http://to.pbs.org/most-trusted-2013.
The 2013 Public Opinion Poll was conducted by phone within the United States by ORC International’s DualFrame CARAVAN on behalf of PBS from January 10-14, 2013 among 1,014 adults ages 18 and older. The sample included 512 men and 502 women. The DualFrame CARAVAN is a nationally representative phone survey of adults conducted on both landlines and cell phones.
For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact Jan McNamara, PBS Corporate Communications, email@example.com or 703-739-5028.
# # #
About Vegas PBS
Dedicated to enriching the lives of those who call Southern Nevada home, Vegas PBS Channel 10 is America’s most watched PBS station on a per capita basis. Five additional channels are available over the air or on cable and satellite including Create, Vme, Worldview, Rewind and Jackpot.
Vegas PBS expands its television broadcast impact through supplemental materials on Vegas PBS.org, PBSKids.org, PBSKidsGO.org, PBSParents.org and PBSParents.org. Vegas PBS also offers extensive online distance education for workforce development and economic diversification through Vegas Virtual Online Education.
Vegas PBS also provides educational resources to teachers including TeacherLine professional development courses; One Place, an educational media service and online curriculum service. Ready To Learn offers literary and health workshops based on curriculum materials in daytime children’s programs.
PBS, with its over 350 member stations, offers all Americans the opportunity to explore new ideas and new worlds through television and online content. Each month, PBS reaches nearly 120 million people through television and nearly 28 million people online, inviting them to experience the worlds of science, history, nature and public affairs; to hear diverse viewpoints; and to take front-row seats to world-class drama and performances. PBS’ broad array of programs has been consistently honored by the industry’s most coveted award competitions. Teachers of children from pre-K through 12th grade turn to PBS for digital content and services that help bring classroom lessons to life. PBS’ premier children’s TV programming and its website, pbskids.org, are parents’ and teachers’ most trusted partners in inspiring and nurturing curiosity and love of learning in children. More information about PBS is available at pbs.org, one of the leading dot-org websites on the Internet, or by following PBS on Twitter, Facebook or through our apps for mobile devices. Specific program information and updates for press are available at pbs.org/pressroom or by following PBS Pressroom on Twitter.
About CARAVAN ORC International
ORC International is a leading global market research firm with offices across the U.S., Europe and Asia Pacific. The Company offers a platform of Integrated Intelligence that combines forward thinking methodologies, cutting-edge technology, skilled researchers and in-depth industry experience to provide clients with valuable insight and analysis in the areas of Customer Strategies, Employee Engagement, and Innovation and Growth. ORC International was founded in 1938 and is a founding member of the CASRO, the proud partner of CNN on the CNN|ORC International poll since 2006; and the research firm of choice on the annual NYSE Euronext CEO Report. For more information, please visit www.ORCInternational.com.